Sunday, August 31, 2014

Blog Post #3

According to the video What is Peer Editing?,  peer editing means working with someone your own age to help improve, revise and edit his or her writing. As a student I can admit that, in the past, I would feel a little uncomfortable reviewing another students work. The reason being because as a student I don't feel like it is my job to edit another students work. I feel like that is the teachers job. Being a student and editing someone else's work can be difficult. Like these videos stated, you want to help out your peer and give them advice on how to improve their work, but what if it involves correcting their spelling and grammar? Sometimes it can be hard to correct another student on their spelling without seeming like you are above them intellectually.

After watching these videos it has really helped explain the way peer editing should work. You should give compliments to your peers whether or not it's their best work. Giving compliments makes the writer feel good about their work and then can take your suggestions in a more positive way. After making your suggestions, you can then make corrections to their work. As I stated above it can be very difficult correcting students on things like spelling, grammar and punctuation. These are little things that can easily be fixed and by correcting your peer on those little things, you are actually helping them improve their writing for the future. In the professional world your bosses aren't going to want an employee who can't spell correctly so it is helpful to correct those little grammatical mistakes now. Peer editing is supposed to be helpful, not critical if we only learn the right and positive way to do it.



Peer editing in class


1 comment:

  1. First I must say, I love your picture choice! I am always looking for something to make me laugh or smile so to see that while learning is always a pleasure. I completely agree with you when it comes to comfort during peer reviews. I constantly question myself as to whether something is too harsh, or if I am qualified to be giving these suggestions. However, over time, I have come to find that as long as you are polite in your comments most of the time peers are polite back, and respect your opinions/advice. Like you said, peer editing is supposed to be helpful! That being said, be sure you are checking all of your prepositional phrases and commas throughout your posts. You did a great job making sure your grammar was correct, that;s the only thing I see that could be reviewed. Great post!
    -Tiffany Wake

    ReplyDelete