Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Blog Post #7

It has been a long time since I have been in an elementary classroom setting. When I was in grade school none of these current media tools were used. Now everywhere you look people are playing on laptops, iPhones (or any smart phone), and tablets. Since this class started, I have learned so much about using new instructional tools to help kids learn effectively, most of these tools being media related. After watching videos and observing in a classroom this semester I have really seen how using such tools such as iPad's and smart boards really help kids learn and it also keeps their attention. Kids are more willing to learn when using an iPad or a smart board. Why is that?

After watching iPad Centers by Ginger Tuck, I got to see a student practice his reading by recording himself on an iPad and then listening to his recording to see if he made any errors. Not only is this an effective way for him to practice his reading and learn his mistakes, but it was fun for him to hear his own voice and watch himself on film. Kids are fascinated with videos of themselves so bringing this concept into the classroom is genius in my opinion. 

Poplet, a video also by Ginger Tuck, is a perfect demonstration of Project Based Learning. Poplet is new to me, but it is an app where students can create learning webs. Mrs. Tuck has a station where students can read books about careers. After they have read the book they can create a poplet to further explain the career book they chose to read. For example, the students in this video chose a book on Veterinarians. They typed the word "Veterinarian" in the center and added pictures and information about that particular job around the outside to create a web. Not only were the students having a fun time creating a project, but they were also learning about a new career and what that job entitles. 

Alabama Virtual Library as a Kindergarten Center was probably the most fascinating for me to watch. Again, on their iPads, the kids would go to the AVL app and sign in like they were taught when they went to the library and then they would then get access to a search bar. The lesson they were currently learning was on transportation so from the list of words they were learning about they would type one into the search bar. Mrs. Tuck gave an example of "bicycle". She typed the word into the search bar and a description of the word came up along with pictures. She pushed play and the website read aloud what there was to know about bicycles. After they research the word that they chose, they have to draw a picture and write one sentence that they learned about it. This is a cool project that allows children to research things on their own but also have a fun time doing it. It also can give the children confidence that they are accomplishing and researching things on their own.

Another great demonstration of PBL was in the video Discovery Education Board Builder by Tammy Shirley. In my opinion this is kind of like Power Point for kids. They are able to create a title of whatever it is that they are learning and add facts, photos, and videos. Once they shared their board builders it looked like a Power Point presentation. In this video the student who was sharing her moon project with us was very excited and enthusiastic about showing us the project that she had created. She had done her own research and made a presentation all on her own.

Kids seem to love doing projects in the classroom and really make the most of it. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy grade school and love learning the way I did when I was younger, but times are changing. Technology is taking over and we need to accept that. I don't necessarily think it needs to be used 100% in the classroom, but it seems to be a helpful way to keep kids interested. Kids are using tools that they love to use such as iPad's or smart boards but yet they are learning the things they need to move on in their future. I would have to say that from watching these videos and taking this class I have come around to accepting these changes more and more. There may be some things that I do not completely agree with, but most things are growing on me. In the next year and a half I am going to have to really pay attention to the teachers in the classrooms I am observing to get ideas on cool new PBL ways to use when I start teaching. I am very creative and knowledgeable when it comes to technology so I feel as if that won't be an issue, but ideas are very helpful. I feel that students should love to learn and this new way of teaching is making that possible. I am really looking forward to using this technique in my classroom and seeing what the outcome will be.



Kids using iPads in the classroom









1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that students do seem to be more eager to learn when technology is involved. Its just how their generation learns new things. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete